Saturday, March 12, 2011

A Month in Paris Already!

Yes, I have finally returned to my blogging! Where I live does not believe in working internet so I have been living without internet for the past two weeks. I can find some internet from time to time when I'm lucky, and today is one of those days!

Well since a month has FLOWN by there  is a lot to report. First, my classes have been going well. In France, there is a lot more reading required but a lot less daily homework. The grades consist of a few papers, a few projects and an expose (an oral presentation) for all of my classes. It hasn't been too difficult yet, but since all of my classes are in French it has been very different. Teachers here basically just speak straight for the three hours without passing out outlines or anything, so being able to understand and write it down in French quickly is a must. It was hard at first (since it requires thinking only in French for three hours) but I think that I'm getting better at it.

The nightlife in Paris is amazing, but you have to get familiar with the clubs. As in know: when cover starts, if coat check and/or purse check is necessary and how much it is, drink prices, if there's a guest list, dress code, etc. If you're not prepared, you may end up spending 25 Euro to get into a club when it was free entrance just 10 minutes before or may not be able to get in because you hadn't registered on the guest list ahead of time. The clubs (boites de nuit) are always PACKED and the drinks are always super expensive, but they're always a good time too!

Since I have a class once a week at the Louvre, I've been there 5 times already. I love it and I hope to make it there over 20 times while I'm here. I haven't seen even half of the Louvre yet so this week I'm hoping to go early in the morning (to beat the crowds) and spend a few hours wandering about. Museums here are free with a Student ID card, so it is definitely worth it (and inexpensive) to go see as many museums as possible. I've been to the Centre Pompidou also, and am planning on going to Musee D'Orsay this week for a class.

On Ash Wednesday, I went to Notre Dame to get ashes. However, I quickly found out that Ash Wednesday in Paris is very different from Ash Wednesday in Chicago. Notre Dame only had 2 services offered that included l'imposition des cindres (giving of the ashes) and I did NOT see a single person all day who had ashes. A lot of the culture, especially religious culture, is different here and I don't think it's custom to get ashes and such. So, instead I spent a few hours before my class hanging out at the Notre Dame taking pictures and taking it all in. It's extremely beautiful and HUGE. (picture above is the Ash Wednesday sign in Notre Dame!)

After staying the entire month in Paris, we have decided that we are ready to travel and explore the rest (hopefully) of Europe. Next weekend, I'll be going to Rome to celebrate Ms. Gina Jenero's 21st birthday Italian style with Andrea and Colleen as visitors too! Very excited!

That's all for now. I'll be sure to keep blogging on much of a daily basis (internet permitting) as possible! Salud!

No comments:

Post a Comment